A protective bumper designed for the Fossil Q Explorist and 3D printed in PLA. The aim of the design has been to solve the problem that can occur where the screen or tempered glass screen covers get chipped and cracked very easily when wearing the watch. The design has been through a variety of iterations which have improved the usability, the aesthetics and ease of printing.
Due to wear and water leaking into the motor housing, the motor that was used originally in MK 6 and then continuously since MK 12 has finally seized and will no longer provide power as a generator. As a replacement i have used a larger motor provided to me by a member of Cardiff School of Art & Design. The new motor required the redesign of the motor casing area. Also, due to an accident with the turbine blades, 3 new red turbine blades were required as well.
A second version of my 3D printed ratcheting socket wrench – the design is still fully 3D printed, with eight M4 machine screws fastening it together. Once again, the ratchet mechanism has attachments on each side, which was inspired by Cleven’s design to allow the ratchet to drive both clockwise and counter-clockwise. The new ratcheting mechanism has been strengthened with 4 teeth replacing the original 2 and the internal springs have been modified to accommodate this change. The handle has also been bulked up to ensure that it will not snap whilst turning high torque loads.
Inspired by seeing Cleven’s Pocket Ratchet Wrench, I decided to see if I could design a regular sized Ratcheting Socket Wrench which would be strong enough to be used for real world applications. The main body is split into a top and bottom section with a handle sandwiched between, which will be an interchangeable small or large handle (with different lengths to give better leverage) The Design is fully 3D printed, with eight M4 machine screws fastening it together. The ratchet mechanism has attachments on each side, which was inspired by Cleven’s design to allow the ratchet to drive both clockwise and counter-clockwise. The initial design allows the use of 12.5MM (1/2″) sized sockets, although the next development will be to allow the head to be interchanged with a head which can use 10MM (3/8″) sized sockets as well as standard 1/4″ hex tool bits. Ratchet mechanism working
This project has been influenced by the newer optional LED sidelights available for the R56 MINI Hatch and the Countryman/Paceman. As I wanted to complete the new style of lighting I have created on my MINI R50, I needed to make the sidelights match the angel eye ring style. I started out by buying a set of sidelight/indicator assemblies from eBay, which I then cut using a rotary tool until there was nothing left but the frame. With this corpus, I then took measurements and created a bulb holder and seating for an SMD LED ring. To finish this off, I painted the finished assembly in a chrome spray paint to ensure reflectivity. (Unfortunately it seems this chrome effect has proven to be too reflective, in some cases leading to onlookers seeing just a bright light instead of a well defined ring!) It was now time to purchase the SMD […]
Upon hearing a loud crash, I discovered that an Ikea lamp in my apartment had gained the cat’s attention and been broken in the process! It felt wasteful to simply get rid of the whole lamp and purchase a new one and so I decided to utilise the still functioning electrical parts of the lamp. My newly designed 3D printed lamp is made of a Black PLA base, with additional weights added to keep the lamp sturdy and a semi-transparent PETG shade.
After the destruction of the MK13 wind turbine by the recent stormy weather, I immediately began work on a new prototype – MK14. Due to the fact that the previous design had been destroyed at a critical weak point – the base of the Nacelle/Generator casing, I decided to reinforce this area, as well as adding strength to the tower/base and the rear flight pole. (Which had also been destroyed) The new design not only includes strengthened elements, but also a new safety system which I hope will stop the prototype from damaging itself as drastically in the event of a critical design failure. The new system attaches to a carabiner clip attached to the Nacelle/Generator section, then loops through and attaches to another carabiner clip on the flight pole.
Today unfortunately marks the destruction of the MK13 Wind Turbine prototype due to the severe wind we experienced early this morning. It seems that the layered structure of the 3D print gave way at the base of the Nacelle/Generator casing with the stress put upon it by the high winds. Thankfully the safety cord ensured that whilst the turbine was destroyed, it was deposited on my balcony as opposed to over the edge. Unfortunately this now means that I will be needing to re-print quite a few components, which will take many hours!
After the initial design had gained the interest of my cat, I felt it was only sensible to refine the design and correct the problems with the MK1 prototype. The Laser Toy MK2 still uses an Arduino Uno, but now uses a standard 180 degree Servo for horizontal rotation and the same 180 degree Micro Servo for vertical rotation. The Arduino code has now been expanded with a longer and more varied routine based on Lily the cat’s (apparent) preference. The movement of the Laser Toy is now far smoother and far quieter, which makes it far more appropriate for a cat to play with!
After 3 years and thousands of hours of faithful service, my 3d printer – the Wanhao Duplicator 4S – has started to show it’s age. All of a sudden, I decided it could do with a little bit of an update, so I removed all panels, primed and painted them with white gloss, then downloaded and designed some new parts. Overall the printer looks quite different, with a new, more modern appearance, some slightly improved functionality and a safer rewiring of the hotend looms.