Today I have been looking into Magnetic Levitation, a technology which uses electromagnets to allow objects to hover and glide above a track.
Magnetic Levitation, aka Maglev is commonly associated with modern high speed trains, as the technology is perfect for this use.
The main advantages of Maglev trains over current trains are:
– Far greater energy efficiency
– Very low noise pollution
– High speeds achievable with ease
– Theoretically safer
– Requires less maintenance
– Virtually unaffected by adverse weather conditions
– Purely electric powered, zero pollution created by train itself, can easily run of sustainable power sources
– Elevated tracks ensure little to no interference with current infrastructure
– Far smoother ride for passengers
Due to the plethora of advantages posed by this technology in comparison to current trains, I have decided to use Maglev technology as a basis for my design solution.